There are a number of things you can do to make sure you are getting the proper sleep. Good sleep hygiene is important for your health and wellness.
- Bright lights entering your bedroom can affect your sleep. Whether it is street lights or other lighting, lighting that is bright can keep you from falling asleep or staying asleep. Try to hang some heavy drapes or other barriers to the light.
- Loud noises can also affect your sleep. It may be hard to block out street noises or sirens if you live in the city. You can try earplugs or noise canceling headphones. The concern with those is that you may not hear your alarm when it is time to get up and get ready for work.
- Turn off the television and electronic devices at least 30 minutes before going to bed. The stimulation and light from these devices can cause you to not be able to relax and fall asleep. Also, you should not watch TV in bed or fall asleep with the TV on. The additional stimulation in the environment can prevent you from getting the full night’s sleep you need.
- Learn relaxation techniques. You can try meditation or yoga before bed to help you relax. Meditation can be especially relaxing to clear your mind of the stresses of the day.
- Avoid strenuous exercise close to bedtime. Exercise can keep you from falling asleep if done too close to bedtime. However, exercise during the day at other times can help you fall asleep at night.
- Use natural sleep aides. Chamomile tea has been used as a sleep aid for centuries. One cup prior to bedtime can help you sleep. Aromatherapy can also be used with essential oils that work to relax you. You can learn more about these natural sleep aides here.
- Use supplements to help you sleep. Some supplements have been shown to help you sleep. Taking a magnesium supplement 30 minutes before bedtime has been shown to help with relaxation and sleep. Magnesium has the effect of relaxing muscles and improving nerve conduction.
Now that you have a few things to try you should be well on your way to getting a good nights sleep. These sleep basics will get you on the road to a restful and refreshing nights sleep. Good sleep hygiene will make you healthier and make you feel better during the day.